Uberroth plan (was Disabled Protest)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Nov 6 10:15:40 PST 1998

OK this will be my third post today. How the good times fly.

What I see is that the Uberroth plan was basically used to quell dissent and very little came of it. There was discussion about creating "enterprize zones" during the last election but to my knowledge very very little has been done. I think it was Earl Ofari Hutchison who publicly confronted the city with the fact that it had not followed through with the suggestions in the plan (nor with the Christopher Commission report after the Watts uprising) and there was some discussion at a City Council meeting but beyond that I really don't know what has transpired.

The LA Times has greatly contributed to the Balkanization of this city. I live in the San Fernando Valley, so I don't get the same Metro section of the paper that those in the Los Angeles area get. As a consequence, I don't always get the news concerning South Central. There has been an effort here to split the valley off from LA, I am behind "the valley" curtain. I've complained about this to the Times, alas to no avail. I would have to cross over the Santa Monica mountains each day to get the news on that side of the curtain.

Maybe Paul Rosenberg can help piece the answer together??? Hello Paul, help!!!

Marta