Open Letter to the Nation magazine

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 6 10:29:22 PST 1998

>Someone told me that the editor, Katrina vanden Heuval, owns a large
>interest in the publication. Can anyone verify this?
>
>Marta Russell

Yes, she, Paul Newman and E.L. Doctorow are major financiers, while Navasky is the nominal owner.

**** The New York Times

Ms. vanden Heuvel Is Wed

Katrina vanden Heuvel, a daughter of Jean Stein and William J. vanden Heuvel, both of New York, was married at her mother's home yesterday to Stephen Frand Cohen, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Cohen of Owensboro, Ky., and Hollywood, Fla. The Rev. William Sloane Coffin Jr., a Presbyterian minister and the former senior minister of the Riverside Church in New York, performed the nondenominational ceremony.

Ms. vanden Heuvel, who will keep her name, is an assistant editor of The Nation magazine in New York. She graduated from the Trinity School in New York and Princeton University. Her mother is an author. Her father is of counsel to the New York law firm of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan and is a senior adviser to Allen & Company, investment bankers in New York. A former deputy permanent representative to the United Nations, he was a special assistant to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy.

The bride is a granddaughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jules C. Stein of Beverly Hills, Calif. Mr. Stein, the founder of the MCA entertainment and business conglomerate, established the Jules Stein Eye Institute at the University of California at Los Angeles.

The bridegroom is a professor of politics and the director of Russian studies at Princeton. He is a graduate of Indiana University, where he received a master's degree in Russian studies, and he received a Ph.D. degree in politics and Russian studies from Columbia University. His father owned a golf course in Hollywood.

****** The New York Times

New Party Faces For a Spandex A-List

By BOB MORRIS

THEY aren't all household names yet. But you can tell they've arrived because they're now hot guests at splashy parties. These new party faces (some from New York, some not) are achieving recognition in the media-driven meritocracy that is New York society. Like money, their names are used as currency on invitations and in gossip columns.

It's a long list (almost as long as the list of new cable TV-channels and on-line magazines), but that doesn't necessarily mean you can forget the names from last year. The A-list universe in New York, after all, isn't like the Midtown Tunnel, which brings in fresh air and forces out the stale every 90 seconds. It's more like a middle-aged paunch or the Blob, absorbing more and more weight with each year.

ONE-NAMED POP WONDERS BECK, the new Michael Stipe, who just won an MTV video music award for best male vocalist of the year. BUSH, the new Pearl Jam. OASIS, not the new Beatles, but British, so they're being compared to them. PHISH, the new Grateful Dead. NAS, the new Coolio.

NEW BAD KIDS ON THE BLOCK JOHN GALLIANO, French enfant terrible. BIJOU PHILLIPS, model daughter (not as in paradigm, but runway) of John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas. The Courtney Love of models.

LETTERS SET KATRINA VANDEN HEUVEL, editor in chief of The Nation. DOMINIQUE BROWNING, editor of House and Garden redux. FRANK McCOURT, former schoolteacher whose memoir about growing up poor and Irish is making him less poor.

SOCIAL LIGHTS MOUNA AYOUB, jewelry-laden, recently divorced and a "Middle Eastern Ivana Trump," according to New York magazine. PATRICIA KLUGE, who divorced the billionaire John Kluge, 82, and got her own apartment in the Waldorf Towers. MARIE-JOSEE KRAVIS, couture-wearing Canadian economist who married Henry Kravis and who (in an intellectually symbolic gesture) has been converting the ballroom in their new Park Avenue apartment into a library. NINA BAUER, 25, who has a broken engagement to Steven Perelman (son of Ron) and an unbroken one to Charles de Gunzburg (whose mother was a Bronfman) on her social bio.

STAGEY TYPES THE 'RENT' CAST, because it's nice to have actors at a swank party who play East Village junkies and squatters, not real ones. SAVION GLOVER, who, on Broadway, is no longer just a tap-dancing kid in the shadow of Gregory Hines. JOAQUIN CORTES, a heartthrob flamenco dancer getting an armada-like public-relations send-off.

THIS YEAR'S MODELS VENDELA, who just signed to represent Almay cosmetics and married a Swiss millionaire. WILLEM DAFOE, old film and experimental theater actor; new Prada model.

TV TYPES JENNY McCARTHY, hostess of MTV's "Singled Out" dating-game show, who was Playboy's July centerfold. ROSIE O'DONNELL (nice suddenly sells.)

AVAILABLE ATHLETES LISA LESLIE, Olympics basketball star recently spotted sipping Champagne through a straw at the Bubble Lounge. KEYSHAWN JOHNSON, the Jets' rookie wide receiver with a poster-boy smile. ANYBODY INTO EXTREME SPORTS except Sandy Pittman, the media-loving mountaineering socialite who was shoved off her cliff by an expose in the August issue of Vanity Fair.

ICONS IN WAITING MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY, Texan and actor whose value was inflated by the media in August and whose talent is being compared to Brad Pitt's. LIV TYLER, young, listless actress from "Stealing Beauty." The new Natalie Wood. EWAN McGREGOR, the lead junkie in "Train spotting" who also appeared this summer with a totally different hairdo in "Emma." The new Gary Oldman. CAMERON DIAZ, actress starring opposite Keanu Reeves in "Feeling Minnesota." The new Sandra Bullock.

ART WORLD WITHOUT END DAMIEN HIRST, British sculptor whose show last spring in SoHo featured a cut-up cow and pig in tanks of formaldehyde. MATTHEW BARNEY, former J. Crew model and Yale football player whose photographs and videos are about the politics of masculinity. He models to help make his point. NAN GOLDIN, photographer of marginalized subjects who will have a retrospective at the Whitney Museum this fall.

Louis Proyect