Gingrich falls

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 7 11:44:09 PST 1998

Chris Burford:
>Those posts will be on another computer so I cannot easily quote them. But
>I would put the much more interesting challenge to Louis: does he accept
>that the prospects for a revolution in the near future in the US are slim?

I have no idea. In the meantime I have no plans to promote illusions in bourgeois parties like you do. The main thing Marxists have a responsibility for is drawing a class line between the workers and the bosses, not fudging it the way that you do.

>Does he accept, without being "fixated on bourgeois elections" certainly in
>the sense of creating illusions in the trustworthiness of a bourgeois
>party, that certain steps of financial reform will have to be struggled
>over, through campaigning, just as in Marx's day, the 10 Hours Bill was won
>as a valuable reform by working class and democratic struggle?

What you mean by financial reform does not require working-class struggle. The bourgeoisie is capable of turning away from the excesses of derivatives, currency speculation, etc. on its own. This does not cut into their profits the way that a shortening of the work day does. You considered the Bretton Woods Agreements as a "financial reform". This established the grounds for the IMF and World Bank. My idea of "financial reform" is Fidel Castro's call for liquidating 3rd world debts to imperialist banks.

>Or does he argue that a reform like the 10 Hours Bill can be a genuine
>reform, but a financial reform, by definition cannot.

Right. Now, there's progress.

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)