Hang Seng thru 10,000

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Nov 8 15:44:19 PST 1998

At 08:26 AM 11/8/98 -0500, Michael Hoover wrote:

a number of statistics showing sharp capitalist exploitation in Hong Kong. I doubt if Mike is arguing that the rise in the stockexchange is solely due to an intensification of exploitation of workers, though that has almost certainly happened in response to the recession.

I need more information about exactly how the market in land works. I suspect that even if all land is formally owned by the state, some features of the market, are equivalents to capitalist procedures in states where there is private property in land. Perhaps Michael knows with real estate moguls, where their wealth lies.

But overall my case was that Hong Kong as a capitalist state shows that potentially

>> it is possible to make major inroads into capitalism by
>> taking advantage of contradictions among the enemy even in financial
>> matters, and weaken landowning capital and finance capital in temporary
>> alliance with industrial capital.

Chris Burford