Indigenous Rights

G*rd*n gcf at panix.com
Mon Nov 9 05:35:12 PST 1998

Louis Proyect:
> 3) Defending indigenous rights: Makah, Blackfoot and Navajo are all
> involved in extremely militant actions in defense of their traditions.
> There should be support from the broader progressive movement.

Can someone give a precis of Marxist thought on the subject of indigenous rights, especially in land? The idea seems sort of Lockean to me.

I do understand how indigenous rights fit into the _liberal_ scheme of things -- in fact, classical liberal principles would give the American Indians a lot more rights than they now have, like the right to form independent nation-states. But would Marxists agree?