Why the Left Crys even When We Win (Re: Gingrich falls

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Nov 9 11:48:16 PST 1998

Re Doug's: "Uh, just a moment. The Reps still control Congress, an overwhelming majority of governorships, are gaining in state legislatures. According to the big table in today's NYT, Reps got 51% of the popular vote for the House, down from just 53% in 1994, but up from 50% in 1996, and way up from 46% in 1992. And despite the increase in black turnout, the Republican share of the black vote rose from 8% in 1994 to 11% in 1998. With Newt gone, the Reps could burnish their image with young-Bush-style "inclusiveness," and 2000 could be a whole different ballgame."

Several times I started drafting a reply disagreeing with this, and each attempt seemed more fatuous than the last. Doug, I can say only that you're probably right; I hope you're wrong.

Carl Remick