Clinton

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Nov 9 12:28:10 PST 1998

Part of the analytic problem of Clinton vis a vis predecessor presidents like Nixon is that Clinton has the first Republican congress in over 40 years to contend with.

I think another angle on this whole argument is that we are better off with a democratic house of representatives than we are with a democratic presidency. I think that holds for the republicans too. They had their Repub presidents like Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, et al, but they didn't really dominate the emotive aura of national politics till they had the congress. Even Reagnism was blunted when, in 1982, his de facto majority (consisting of Repubs + Southern dems) evaporated due to democratic gains sleshwere (which is why Gorsuch, Watts were dumped, etc).

So if I had to choose, in the next election, I'd dems retook the house and the repubs retook the White House.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298