ITT on Third Way

joshua william mason jwm7 at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 10 06:17:39 PST 1998

Doug wrote:

> The November 29 ish of In These Times features a giant load of mush - so
> formless you wonder how it sticks to the page - called "Finding The
Third
> Way," written by David Dyssegaard Kallick (author of the piece on
surveying
> the left in this week's Nation, too - busy guy!). I think there's a
> misprint in the title, though - he must mean "Funding the Third Way,"
since
> this seems to be government of, by, and for the foundations.

And the beauty part is, ITT hardly even gets any foundation money. (Among the left/liberal press, it's Ms. and The American Prospect that pull down the big dollars.) Jimmy Weinstein embraces the foundations out of the same crackpot realism that's led him to pilot the mag into the "mainstream" even as its circulation drops into the mid four figures. Reminds me of the Working Families Party, which made the savvy, sophisticated tactical choice to nominate Dems and then got beat out by the Greens who just went ahead and ran their own candidates.

Incidentally, a friend tells me that on election day, the WFP decided their real strength was on the Upper West Side (surprise), so they brought down a bunch of union linemen from the Bronx to canvass for them there. I thought that said it all.

Josh