Cockburn on slavery

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue Nov 10 12:34:40 PST 1998

Dear James,

Yeah, wasn't it great! One change of clothes a year. A shack to live in---the animal barns were better. Oh yeah! When your not busy working for the "massa" you get to grow your own food.

Speaking of modern day innovations. Many of the slaves used in the ante-bellum iron and steel business were leased to the ironmasters. Sort of like using contractors today. A smart southern ironmaster wouldn't have to keep a big labor force on hand. He could contract for slave labor as business conditions warranted.

Sincerely, Tom L.