George Soros on the barricades

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 10 20:03:29 PST 1998

Soros has been sounding that same note for over two years. Some suspect his purpose as merely providing a theoretical basis for deflecting blame from hedge funds, his cash machines. He is trying to save a runaway global financial market system by making it supposingly more even for all participants. Th fact that institutional funds (retirment savings) are invested by managers to cut the jobs held by the owners of such funds, doesn't bother Soros. He is only worrying about the system overheating and short circuiting. Soros has taken up the fallen banners of the liberal Republicans of the 60s - free trade must be accompanied by government subsidy which in turn will be financed by profits from free trade. Like the liberal Republicans before him, Soros was not against gambling philosophically but only worrying about the game ending prematurely. The problem with Soros' proposals is, as with those from liberal Republicans, the poor do not buy it and the newly rich do not like it. Maximization has always been the golden rule of capitalism, except maximization is more dangerous now becuase of the speed of the technology and the fragility of structured finance. The Great Depression did not push America toward economic liberalism, World War II and the Cold War did. Fear of collapse alone is never enough to bring about reform. Witness Russia and Soros' hapless advice. Someone once said: don't let monkeys guard bananas.

Henry C.K. Liu