Ferguson on Civil War

uswatl at ibm.net uswatl at ibm.net
Tue Nov 10 21:04:16 PST 1998

Dear Doug and the LBOers,

I agree with you on jury nullification. I don't know anything about Godfrey Lehman, but, I do know Cockburn thinks highly of him and has written about his crusade on a number of occasions.

Where I don't agree with Cockburn or many of our fellow LBOers is on the subject of the viability of slavery. Slavery as practiced in the ante-bellum south was a very viable economic system and was evolving into an industrial system at a rapid pace prior to the civil war.

Read a few accounts of southern slaveholders after "their negros" ran away with the union army. There are thousands of these little primary source first person stories floating around, and, don't forget the slaves started running away long before the Emancipation Proclamation. First sight of the Union army and these so-called at the time "contrabands" were gone.

I don't subscribe to what I call the Oberlin theory that the anti-slavery movement was some sort of a holy crusade for racial equality and that the anti-slavery forces were all motivated by religious belief. It's nice to think that you have God on your side. The reality is that people fight over real property and real control of that property.

Then there is that great anti-slavery organization Tammany Hall...

Sincerely, Tom Lehman