one of the new creeps

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Wed Nov 11 07:03:16 PST 1998

On Tue, November 10, 1998 at 22:54:38 (-0500) Doug Henwood writes:
>Largent: "It is very hard to get to the facts and the figures and to
>debate this in a non-emotional setting . . . this should not be a
>political issue that we catch people with: that is clearly wrong. When
>you get to the facts that homosexual sex between men is an unhealthy
>lifestyle and that it is unnatural. I think when we start talking
>about things like that, and I hope hope we do, we can have a good
>discussion, But I do believe that it is an issue much like abortion,
>where there is no middle ground.

Has anyone else read either of John Boswell's books on the subject of homosexuality and Christianity (etc.)? I haven't yet read his earlier *Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century* (University of California Press, 1980), but while I was living in Boston I read his *Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe* (Villard Books, 1994) while riding the subway to work each day.

>From what I remember, Largent's "2000 years of Judeo-Christian
history" includes such vile intolerance for women (useful only for procreation and to serve men, incapable of higher feelings, etc.) that the men decided same-sex unions were completely reasonable and "natural".

Bill