Cockburn on Slavery

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 11 07:37:19 PST 1998

No war in history should have been fought. Yet they were fought. Slavery was only a pretext for the Civil War, just as defending democracy was a pretext for the Second World War. One perverse effect of war is that, with some exceptions, war tends to weaken both opposing camps to allow new forces to emerge in the aftermath, albeit at high cost. The First World War destroyed the contesting monarchies, the Second War World destroyed Western Political Imperialism. The exceptions are the Korean and Vietnam Wars. I am not sure what these wars accomplish, except delimits American hegemony.

Henry C.K. Liu