Cockburn on Slavery

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:02:17 PST 1998

>> I think this topic shows how far neo-confederate propaganda has
>> penetrated popular thought.
>
>You sure got that right. "Leftists" arguing for Southern Secession!
>Now, unfortunately, I've seen it all.
>
>--

Now wait just a damn minute...

We have argued that the war was fought to settle the conflicting interests of two contending ruling classes. We argue that the good that came out of it could have been achieved by other methods, that wouldn't have killed 3% of the US population. For this we are confederate sympathizers? You remind me of the people who insisted that anyone opposed to the Vietnam War was a closet Stalinist.

Jim Baird