UAW and union democracy in TA unionism

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Nov 11 10:48:34 PST 1998

-----Original Message----- From: JKSCHW at aol.com <JKSCHW at aol.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

>But Nathan is a classic
>pqog, love the Dems, hate ther unions. They unions are filled with
no-neck low
>lifes who drink Pabst and watch pro wrestling, yechh. --jks

As a former staff organizer with HERE in Las Vegas, a former executive board member of the UAW Grad union at UC-Berkeley, a long-time labor activist with a reasonably extensive arrest record in defense of union activities, and currently doing work with various unions and sweatshop workers through the Workers Rights Project here at Yale, you may be right that I hate unions.

Or maybe your assumptions are narrow. Like you sound like a Dem-hating, union leadership kissing opponent of union democracy that springs to the defense of business unionism and its abuses at the drop of a hat.

But then that would be an assumption and I wouldn't want to engage in that.

--Nathan