Jim O'Conner - Japan

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Wed Nov 11 22:33:44 PST 1998

I thought the Japanese ponnied up some money ($30 billion, I think) for Asia in the heady days before the Fed lowered rates. Rubin nixed it and Japan complied because they don't want to strain the relationship any more than necessary. I read today that Clinton is making noises about the "flood of cheap imports", especially steel, but also other goods. Anonymous analysts were quoted as saying the flood is just beginning. The piece also said Clinton was "responding" to union pressure because they saved the Democrats asses in the elections. But then it was suggested Clinton won't actually do anything because it would make the U.S. look hypocritical if protectionist policies were actually followed. As you all know, the U.S. government is not afraid to appear hypocritical in foreign affairs, but in this instance other countries like Japan would be encouraged to become more protectionist in turn. China is seen as a lost cause now. The U.S. is also now threatening Europe with a trade war over bananas. They "favor" former colonies' bananas over cheaper Chiquita and Dole Latin American bananas, arguing a change would devastate the former colonies' economies. The Chicquita head honcho gave a ton in campaign contributions to both parties, mostly to the Republicans. The WTO had ruled in favor of the U.S. on this issue, and Europe made cosmetic changes, but clearly not enough for the United States' tastes. The free market at work, folks.