Nazism and Slavery

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Thu Nov 12 11:03:01 PST 1998

><< Questioning the motives and tactics of the North is not saying that
> fighting slavery is wrong; >>
>
>Nonsense. That is exactly what was argued here, for anyone who paid
attention.

I wish I'd saved the old messages, because this is not my recollection of the debate at all, and certainly not my position.

>The point that matters is that the Union's war effort became the chosen
>vehicle for the slaves' war for emancipation. As Abraham Lincoln himself
>attested, had that not been so the Union would have lost the war in two
>weeks.

First of all, the war was fought to preserve the Union, not to free the slaves. Had the North won the war in two weeks, it is unlikely the slaves would have been freed, especially in the border states. After a couple of years of savage conflict, pressure started to mount for punishing the South, which led to the Emancipation Proclamation (which even then didn't free the slaves in the border states) and reconstruction.

Secondly, your claim that the Union would have lost the war in two weeks is simply wishful thinking.

Brett