Wal-Mart and the Strip-Mining of America

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 12 12:58:54 PST 1998

James Farmelant wrote:

>I think Gordon outlined a possible answer with his suggestions
>that progressives meet the Walt-Martization of America with
>campaigns to unionize Wal-Mart employees and to create
>alternative retail outlets by encouraging the formation of
>co-ops. All of course, easier said than done. But I suspect that
>the answer does not lie in attempting a return to the economic
>past.

No one said anything about a return to the past, least of all me, since I've never been one to romanticize "community" and "place" and all those "natural" hierarchies of the countryside. This is one of thsoe pernicious binaries that I don't want any part of. But I don't have time for anything more than an aphorism or two right now, sorry.

Doug