Frank Lloyd Wright

Apsken at aol.com Apsken at aol.com
Thu Nov 12 14:52:58 PST 1998

Wright designed gratis the A-frame cabins and pleasant pavilions for the Circle Pines Center cooperative camp in Michigan -- affectionately called Camp Stalin during Phil Ochs's years there -- where nearly all Chicago area red diaper babies of the fifties, sixties, and seventies lost their virginity.

Also in the sixties, the Lutheran seminary at the University of Chicago announced plans to raze Robie House to make way for its new headquarters. Asked his opinion, Wright said (as best I can recall; verbatim not guaranteed), "That's what happens when you entrust something spiritual to the clergy." After vigorous public protests led by radicals, the Lutherans changed their plans. Robie house was saved, but the Lutherans still own and inhabit it. I don't recall anyone being fearful that Wright's wacko politics would affect us when we demanded that the magnificent building be preserved.

Ken Lawrence