Nazism and Slavery

Fri Nov 13 06:17:48 PST 1998

Yet in the 1960's and early '70's, it seems to me that there was an anti-racist sentiment among the majority of the white population of the U.S. It was not firm or overwhelming. It coexisted with a lot of racist sentiment, but the direction of things was for overcoming (to coin a phrase) racism. There was also an overwhelming majority for equal rights for women. This was an important hegmonic accomplishment, but the ruling class was able to change this, somehow instituting a new form of racism with the added characteristic of denial that racism still exists as a significant prejudice among whites. The latter was made easier by the achievments toward equality in the previous period.

I think some on this thread who are questioing the historical necessity of the Civil War do so in a pacifist and life saving spirit. However, the argument between pacifism and revolutionism is old. Marxist revolutionists look at history and are skeptical about the possibility of displacing an exploiting ruling class without some use of force. The aim is to minmize it, but the counter revolution is a general phenomenon in actual history. So, realists, pragmatists prepare for the worst in strategy with a contingency plan for fighting AND an alternative contingency (and hope !) for peaceful revolutionary transition for once, finally.

Charles Brown

Detroit

>>> "James Baird" <jlbaird3 at hotmail.com> 11/12 7:26 PM >>>

>The majority of Americans continue to be abolitionists in public and
>pro-slavery in private.
>It shows up in every debate on social issues.

Ok, I swore off this thread after it was motioned and seconded that I was a deluded tool of the neoconfederacy, but I can't let this pass twice. Just what does this mean? You'll get no argument from me that most Americans aren't racist. But "pro-slavery"? Aren't we being a bit extreme?

Jim Baird