Cockburn on Slavery

Christopher Niles cniles at ricochet.net
Fri Nov 13 17:31:46 PST 1998

>Actually, Enzo, Niles is way out of touch in this regard.
>
>He's apparently blissfully unawares of white folks relentless attacks on
>their own skin, from body piercings and tattoing amongst the more
>rebellious to tanning salons amongst the elites. Why, the whole fashion
>industry is built almost entirely on white folks attempts to obliterate
>their skin from epistemic existence.
>
>But, if all else fails, some far-sighted futurists predict self-flaying
>as the first big thing of the Third Millenium.

Actually, Paul, I am quite aware of what "white" folks do to their own skin but that's not what I am talking about. Indeed, part of what is going on is that those "white" folks, as a function of the limited nature of the public discourse on race, have been subtley duped into thinking that the problem is their skin color--which I think is perfectly lovely--when the problem is in their head.

It's interesting: While "rebellious" young "white" kids attempt to obliterate their whiteness by "attacking" thier own skin, many decidedly unrebellious Black folk, particularly women, strive to gain acceptance among both "white" folks and large numbers of Black folk, too, by whitening their skin and straigtening their hair.

Niles