Bad Day at Black Rock follow-up

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 14 04:18:31 PST 1998

an intereresting Paul Buhle footnote to my Bad Day at Black Rock review:

Actually, we're pretty sure that BAD DAY was written by a blacklstee, probably Dalton Trumbo (I'll try to check on that, tho verification is uncertain), under the name of or with the assistance of a liberal screenwriter who, I think, is still alive and friends with one or two blacklistees whom I interviewed. That's the answer, and there were a couple dozen anti=western westerns of such type, some by liberals, some by lefties writing under the table; it was the begining of the era of the Good Indian or guilty mass=murderer. Apart from such westerns, the biblical movies were interestingly ambivalent in assorted ways, but THE ROBE and of course SPARTACUS were lefty scripts. Mainly, you're right: when the cowboy movie theater in my town was bought up and name changed to the ART THEATER, and the Bergman films started to show (1959), it w as a big day for me, tho I may have occupied the same seat I did at the Park Theater a few years earlier for Saturday morning matinees.....

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)