IMF and Progressives

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 14 07:33:19 PST 1998

Nathan Newman wrote:

>That is a debate that split the Progressive Caucus itself, with House
>Minority Whip David Bonior arguing for recapitalization with Sanders
>leading the charge against. Given the fact that Bonior has been the main
>leader throughout the 1990s against NAFTA, GATT and Fast Track
>authorization, this reflects less disagreement about how abusive the IMF
>has been (since Bonior has stated he has no disagreement with Sanders on
>that issue) but how to change the situation.

What I heard was that the AFL-CIO and the Dems, like Bonior, associated with it, thought that they'd embarrassed Clinton enough with the fast track defeat, so they were willing to give him the IMF vote. That, plus a fear that the IMF would be a bulwark against a flood of cheap, allegedly job-destroying Asian imports. Which is a pretty funny view of the IMF, for sure.

Doug