Buddhism

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Sat Nov 14 15:08:47 PST 1998

Friends,

The Dalai Lama was recently in Pittsburgh, and a friend who sometimes commutes to work with me was going to hear him speak. She told me that she had been to some Buddhist retreats and was much impressed with a particular Vietnamese monk who lead the retreats (His name escapes me). I asked her if she was a Buddhist and she said she was a Quaker but much taken with Buddhism. I told her that I had a problem with a religion which declares that the material world is not real. I also had problems with the willingness of devotees of the Dalai Lama to ignore certain aspects of the history of Tibet, namely the gross exploitation of Tibetans by the Buddhist monks who ran the nation. We picked up another friend of mine and on the long commute between Pittsburgh and Johnstown, the discussion continued. It centered around the issue of nonviolence. My Buddhist devotee argued that no good could ever come from violence, as evidenced by the sorry history of various communist revolutions, including those of China and Cuba. My other friend and I disagreed sharply, pointing out that these revolutions had achieved much good (and has used much justified violence) and Cuba was continuing to do so, despite many difficulties. I also pointed out the superior achievements of China before its turn to capitalism vis a vis a nation such as India, whose Gandhi is also worshipped by many of the same people now taken with the lamas. We both said that there is a heavy dose of daily violence in the good old USA and it ill behooves us to say to the victims that it would always be in their interest to eschew violence as a legitimate tactic in a revolutionary situation. And so on and so on.

Eastern religions, mysticism, a fascination with American Indian rituals, shamanism, new age stuff, etc. are all basically ways for consumer-happy and/or oh so liberal upper middle class people to feel that they are doing good in this world. I like my Quaker/Buddhist friend and think that she is a good person who would stand up for the oppressed (unlike most other "mystics"). And, of course, nonviolence has been a great tactic in many situations, and those who have espoused it have shown the greatest courage (e.g. the Berrigans--if we ignore their repulsive stand on abortion--and the heroic Vietnamese bonzes who immolated themselves in protest of the war). But surely those who believe as my friend does should at least educate themselves about the nature of the horribly repressive and violent societies in which we all live, including those in which religions of various stripes are powerful political forces, and surely they should learn the truth about the revolutions which have occurred in opposition to capitalism.