Review of Sokal & Bricmonts' _FASHIONABLE NONSENSE_ in NY Times Book Review

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Sun Nov 15 09:36:41 PST 1998

Jim,

Have you read this book yet?

I've read several reviews of this book, and Holt's is by far the kindest. All the others take special note of the obscure press that put out the book, and question the review process that the book went through. I have not yet read the book-it's on order at my local library, but my understanding from other people is that Sokal and Bricmont freely admit they don't understand the work of Derrida, Lacan, & Irigaray (the objects of attack), but they use their thoeretical work anyway. The postmodernists do the same thing with math & physics, and that is why Sokal and Bricmont attack them. I guess they never explicitly said they aren't capable of hypocrisy, and I have no reason to expect better behaviour from Sokal (don't know anything about Bricmont), but still... since they are so keen on scientific rigour, one would hope that they would apply some even in their polemical work, but I guess not.

frances