Cockburn on Slavery. Freedom !

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 16 11:59:32 PST 1998

BTW, Charles, solidarity in mourning over Stokely Carmichael. I used to love the passion in his writing.

By focusing solely on identity issues, it seems to me all a bit of cultural or identity politics. While surely cultural./identity politics have their place at times, it is also quite clear that in academic settings any attempt to understand the structural sources of oppression and, yes, the evolution of Black culture. I don't think you mean to do this, no. But in the hands of some of my colleagues it is entirely too superficial for me. You know, throw a little Black culture in her, a little Black history in there, mix and stir with unexamined everything else and--voila--you send students out in the world who think they've done their duty to racial oppression because they've read Tricia Rose's analysis of the resistant discourses of rap music. But than nothin' I 'spose.

>I would say anybody who calls me
>dangerous I kind of consider a right winger
>per se.

Yes that's right Charles I'm a crazy rightwinger. Yes, yes indeedy I am. I always just love being lumped in with the right if I criticize something. Like Carrol telling me that I'm a privatized idiote and yet Carrol hasn't read enough of me to know what he's talking about.

Exoticizing the Other--I'm thinking of bell hooks here (among others)

As for the rest, really, see me as a right winger if you'd like. It is surely very likely that whatever I am or say I am won't matter one wit. In any event, thank you very much, but I do have a quite healthy, rich, lively understanding of Black Culture and History as that's what I studied as an undergrad. Why? Because it spoke to me in a way that nothing else did. I could relate to it, you see. Oh, of course, I could know much much more and I try. But, as I said in another post, I also want upper middle class whites to, as they say, unpack their knapsacks of privilege and see exactly how they inscribe and reinscribe their class/race privilege everydamnminuteoftheday.

I am the safest person I know.

>My position are all proletarian internationalist
>and in solidarity with the national liberation
>and freedom movements and interests of
>all the groups you list above. To call what
>I am saying dangerous is so opposite the truth
>that I wonder what's up with you.

Well I did not know. You mentioned nothing of other cultures, only Black culture. No need to get worried about psychological states or repressed fears or anything. Really, honestly. I am much more afraid of upper middle class white guys who run things than I am of the kids next door.

SnitgrrRl