Buddhism

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Mon Nov 16 12:45:06 PST 1998

Like many othet texts, religious texts can and have been used to support a wide variety of (incompatible) positions. Buddhism is no exception. I've looked through a bunch of the "Buddhist economics" literature, and some of it is very different from what one might expect. There is a guy in Philadelphia--at Villanova I think--who says people decide how long to meditate by economizing at the margins, i.e. they do a cost-benefit test of an additional minute of time allocated to meditating! This would surprise a lot of Buddhists, I would think (and hope). Also, different sects of Buddhism are as different as different religions. In particular, the distinction between Mahayana and Theravada has important social implications. Mahayana says "we're all in it together" so there is an explicit social responsibility and social ethic and social concern. The United Nations put out an interesting book (from conference proceedings) on "global ethics" and the world's religions which is worth looking at. I can dig up the reference if any one's interested. Mat