Review of Sokal & Bricmonts' _FASHIONABLE NONSENSE_ in NY Times Book Review

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 16 16:16:20 PST 1998

Oh I wish I were around to respond at length to this, but I'm telnetting in on an awkward connection.

I just started reading this silly book before leaving town. Kristeva, Lacan, and the entire gang misuse math! Well, yes they do, but what about anything else they have to say? Sokal & Bricmont are silent on that score because they really don't know. I'll concede that if you use math metaphors you should know what you're talking about, but, on the other hand, if you want to write about philosophy, psychoanalysis, or critical theory you should also know what you're talking about. And S&B don't.

Doug