Cockburn on Slavery. Freedom !

Tue Nov 17 13:41:18 PST 1998

>>> "Frances Bolton (PHI)" <fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu> 11/17 1:16 PM >>>

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Charles Brown wrote:

> >As a matter a fact, my grandfather
> >told me I am at least one/sixteenth
> >Indian.
>
> But what has this to do with anything? Why is this important?
> _________
>
> Charles: It lets you know that
> I am intimately familiar with the
> relationship between the Black
> liberation struggle and the
> struggle of other oppressed
> national groups. Your posts sort

Actually, it doesn't let me know anything. If you had to be told that you are "Indian," it means that you weren't raised that way. And if you weren't, I don't see how you developed this "intimate familiarity" with the liberation struggle of which you speak. Are you suggesting "genetic knowledge?" If so, that's kind of strange. ________

Charles: It lets you know something. Of course, not everyone with Indian blood has an intimate familiarity with the indigenous liberation struggle, but it makes it more likely. Do you have Indian blood ?

Of course, you don't know how old I was when my grandfather told me or whether there was any raising of me as Indian. Racist America doesn't really allow such a thing as Indian and Black. Probably comes from the time when the whites feared our military union. But people like you can't steal my joint heritage thereby. People basically have to choose. But that doesn't mean I have to give up my Indian heritage for somebody like you.

Have you had a similar experience,? if not you are a bit arrogant.

As it is, I worked with the Yurok of Northwest California in their legal battle for land recovery while I was in law school, I did research on land recovery for the Mohican in Connecticut and work with Angela Davis and Chippewa in an effort against the 500th anniversary of Columbus's invasion.

Also, I have a masters degree in cultural anthropology and my geographical area of specialty was North American Indians. My main theoretical position was to argue for the modern validity of indigenous American culture.

Also, my Grandfather had a cottage in Rhode Island for years and we merged families a bit with the Spears and other Naraggantsits there. Grace Spears, my "aunt" just died. If you are familiar with indigenous culture, kinship is very important.

You better be an Indian or your comment is kinda arrogant, racist even.

I have been in the struggle for Indian liberation for decades and trying to figure its connection with the whole struggle against white supremacy. AND THIS IS IN PART ROOTED IN MY AWARENESS THAT I AM PART INDIAN , AS MY GRANDFATHER AND OTHER PARENTS TOLD ME. If you don't have any Indian heritage, you probably don't understand this.

Geronimo !

Charles Brown