Cockburn on Slavery. Freedom !

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 17 20:20:29 PST 1998

Charles Brown wrote in response to Frances Bolton:

.>Of course, you don't know how old
>I was when my grandfather told me or
>whether there was any raising of me
>as Indian. Racist America doesn't really
>allow such a thing as Indian and Black.
>Probably comes from the time when
>the whites feared our military union.
>But people like you can't steal
>my joint heritage thereby.

>You better be an Indian or your
>comment is kinda arrogant, racist
>even.

Charles, I understand your seriousness. I think I understand what's at stake here for you, though I haven't had your experiences, so I don't presume. But how is this rather reactionary response of yours justified? What is the specific content of Frances' post that leads you to say to her: "people like you can't steal my joint heritage thereby. . . . or your comment is kinda arrogant, racist even?"

I found nothing arrogant or racist in Frances' post. I seriously doubt she is out to steal your heritage. And I read no unintended racism or arrogance in her words.

(Pardon me Frances, for butting in here, but some of these recent posts, which I'm just catching up on, make me, well, a little pissed.)

-Alec