Buddhism

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 17 22:12:41 PST 1998

Enzo makes a very good point. Statements do not become of note merely because they were said by historical figures. It is because prosterity find certain statements worthy of note that make the author historical.

Typical of Chinese preoccupation with authenticity and scholarship, the motivating force behind many sects of Chinese Buddhism (Fo Jiao) in the period after the fifth century had been primarily exegetical. Each sect longed to be the possessor of authentic theological treatises written in Sanskrit by acclaimed sages in India, holy land of Buddhism known as Tianshu during Tang time (618-907). Each sect dreamed of exegetical supremacy by performing orthodox translation on its own authentic sutra (jing) and by rendering enlightened interpretation. Many holy and zealous sengs (monks) braved horrendous hardship to travel to remote Xiyu (Western District, a term Tang geographers used to include India, referred to as Tianshu), for the purpose of gaining enlightenment from the true source and to bring back original sutras of indisputable authenticity and authority. India was reached at this time from Changan by first following the Silk Route west until Ferghana and Kokand (modern-day Central Asian Uzbekistan), then turning south, through the northeastern corner of Bactria (modern-day Balkh, Afghanistan), cutting across Pakistan to Punjab in northern India. Direct access to India from Xizang (Tibet) was made prohibitively difficult and hazardous by the forbidding Himalayas Mountains, not to mention the hostile Tufans (Tibetans) who inhabit the northeastern foothills of the Himalayas. It is peculiar of Chinese Buddhist culture that while it persistently seeks authenticity from external sources, a deep-rooted aversion to things foreign concurrently requires it to twist its interpretation to conform to characteristically Chinese mentality. It reflects a central contradiction in Chinese culture that is at once attracted to foreign ideas and incurably xenophobic.

Henry C.K. Liu