Cockburn on Slavery. Freedom !

Wed Nov 18 05:58:38 PST 1998

You may label it identity politics,but I don't subscribe to the paradigm that characterizes my approach as identity politics. My name for my politics is national liberation and self-determination politics. What you call ,but I don't, identity politics in my concepts I would call self-determination for specially oppressed national groups. So, no I am still not into identity politics and I disagree with the ideology or theory that has putforth the concept of identity politics to describe my politics.

One aspect of the politics of self-determination and liberation of specially oppressed national and racial groups is the struggle for unity among said groups, such as Black People and Indians. This is done largely based upon recognition of the shared concern to end white supremacy.

Pertinent to this discussion is that, yes, there is a big difference between a white person and an Indian discussing Indian/Black relations, whose an Indian, whether a Black person is a Black.

So, correct it would be much less under suspicion of being arrogant or racist if Frances were an Indian. But no that conclusion is not derived from "identity politics" in the sense that the paradigm that analyzes things in terms of identity politics is faulty. That conclusion follows from the politics of national liberation and self-determination of specially oppressed races and peoples, and the strategy of unity of those peoples.

Charles Brown

Detroit

>>> "K" <d-m-c at worldnet.att.net> 11/17 6:26 PM >>>

>You better be an Indian or your
>comment is kinda arrogant, racist
>even.

And it's neither arrogant nor racist if Frances is an Indian?! Huh? And you say you're not into identity politics.

SnitgrrRl