Oppresseder than thou

Wed Nov 18 06:36:49 PST 1998

>>> "K" <d-m-c at worldnet.att.net>

> On a less serious note, and in response to
Charles
>Brown and some others, I suppose we could have an
>"oppressed peoples contest" on this list,

Oh I think not. How weak, as my son might say. But, you know Mr. Rosser, I was thinking just today that it is all quite interesting that no one seems to give one wit about the grrRls. We get to recite all our oppressed identities in order to what? -- I guess authenticate our claims to be involved in, to advocate, to theorize the struggles of historically oppressed people. ________

Charles: Au contraire , ma soeur, to me the number one liberation struggle for today is women's liberation. When I go on the talk radio, I go on as a Black feminist mainly. Most of my work today is as a Black feminist. My main theoretical mentor is Angela Davis. Of course, I wouldn't describe her Marxism as a you know what for Marx. That would be kind of male-centric. However, there is no contradiction between being a Black feminist and a Black national liberationist. As a matter of fact, all of the Black women I know (and I have talked with a LOTTTA Black women about Black feminism) think it is important that I emphasize the Black liberation struggle if I am going to be a feminist. Do you know about this, or have you talked with a lot of Black women about feminism ?

I'm a what's good for the goose is good for the gander feminist.

As in the title to Angela Davis' book, _Women , Race and Class_, women, race and class are the big three to me. __________

All this talk of workers and workers' struggles, of African Americans, Mexicans, Indigenous peoples, why even disabled folks. And nothing NOTHING about the fact that women's *experience* of oppression is likely quite different from that of men. _________

Charles: True, but the serious fallacy in this is the failure to recognize that more than half of African Americans, Mexicans and Indigenous peoples, and workers ARE WOMEN. When I talk about Black liberation, I am talking about the liberation of millions of women. Your assumption to the contrary is telling .

Of course, there is a special struggle for women's liberation. So, not only do they need liberation as workers and racially and nationally oppressed, but from male supremacy

A programmatic start is reintroduce ERA as an elaborated Bill of Rights for women. I have a draft proposal for same.

__________

Oh what should I expect from a list filled with Marxists and those who are heavy users of Marx. __________

Charles: As if petit bourgeois scholars are better feminists than Marxists. Ha !

_____________

[ (c) Sawicky] And the question as to whether I'm among the Marxist elect appears to have been settled by one Mr. Charles Brown, as he seems to be in the business of annointing the chosen few. (And he said he wasn't interested in playing "My hard on for Marx is bigger than yours" You are very coy Mr. Brown. But I'll admit that sometimes I do admire that in a buoy.) _________

Charles: The annointed ones in capitalist America are the anti-Marxists. If you are with the non-Marxists, you are with the annointed group,the power group. As for your characterization that I annoint people, this is inaccurate. It is typical of the liberal branch of the truly elite and powerful intellectual sector to try to make it seem that the tiny fraction of intellectuals who are Marxists , the main vicitms of McCarthyism and thought control in U.S. Big Brother , that these victimized Marxists are commanding and annointing elites. This is extremely twisted and the very opposite of the truth. The small size of the number of Marxists is horrible to me. Marxism demands huge majorities, masses to be viable.

Anyway the main point is contrary to what you say, your anti-Marxism is much more in line with the elite , elect and dominant ideology of this world and country. So, your characterization that I am annointing people is the complete reverse of reality. Marxists are in the very anti-thesis of the "elect". For you to be anti-Marxist is to move closer to the elect, as you call it. So what are you talking about ? For example, if you became a Marxist, you would have to worry much more about keeping your job. That means your ideology is more in line with that of the powers that be , the true annointers . It is your anti-Marxism that annoints you and you posture as if you are ghettoized by me when I am powerless and in groups that have the least power. ________

Of course, this will be immediately attacked as a bit of identity politics of my own. ________

Charles: I don't subscribe to identity poltics theory. You'll have to do self-criticism on that. _________

Charles Brown

Detroit ___________

But honestly, do you really think so. If one Lou Proyect can speculate about the potential for fascism among workers by engaging in an analysis of the effects of occupation/class location, then it seems to me that we might want to consider who predominantly fills those occupations. A lot of talk of service and clerical workers, no talk about the gendered structure of class inequality and what that might mean for the future of class struggle.

Well, back to regular programing comRods [(c) Paula]

SnitgrrRl