Oppresseder than thou

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Wed Nov 18 12:29:38 PST 1998

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> Try as I may, I have difficulty following the intellectural basis of
> this type of exchange, or its relevance.
> The truly oppressed are the readers of this list.

Oppressed because there are topics that you are not particularly interested in? Fairly broad understanding of the word "oppressed" if that's the case. Hard to see what else you could mean, since we all obviously are doing well enough to have access to computers and the leisure time to be on lists like this one.

Now, I personally was unthrilled to get thousands of words on Buddhism on this list. But I wouldn't say I found it oppressive. And I would never have the effrontery to suggest that it doesn't "belong" here.

frances