Brenner reply to doug henwood

uswatl at ibm.net uswatl at ibm.net
Wed Nov 18 20:15:51 PST 1998

Dear Doug and the LBOers,

I'm not sure which part of the Brenner vs. Henwood discussion is under discussion at this point. If Robert Brenner could send me his reply; if I haven't already read it I will read it again.

Greg, I wouldn't classify Doug as a Marxist in the straight-jacket sense of the term. Doug is too lucid and pragmatic to be pigeonholed.

The Henwood - Brenner discussion seems to me to revolve around the historical materialism of Doug and the economic determinism of Robert Brenner. To use a little fight analogy here, Doug can roll with the punches, Brenner can't. Brenner is going in flat footed and Doug is up on his toes. It's sort of like Mohammed Ali and Sonny Liston.

This discussion also sort of reminds me of a movie about a young college kid who goes to work for the local don to make a little money while he's in school. In a classic scene he has to meet with the don at the don's club. While in the club the kid notices an old picture of Mussolini on the wall. He asks the don about this picture. The don says, "Yeah, he used to be big...uh like the Beetles."

Sincerely, Thomas Lehman