Brenner reply to doug henwood

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 19 09:11:08 PST 1998

>The idea is that periods of rapid accumulation strengthen the working
>class to the point where it is able to threaten profits--and continued
>accumulation--through demands for higher wages as well as resistance on
>the shopfloor, etc.-- what Doug glosses as "an attitude problem among the
>workers." One of the main exponents of the idea that this is what's
>responsible for the slowdown since 1973 is Andrew Glyn; if you want to get
>a better handle on this stuff you could do a lot worse than pick up his
>book Capitalism Since 1945.
>
>Josh

It's also something that Dave Laibman, of "Science and Society", has argued. I heard him last year at the Brecht Forum speaking on his new book "CAPITALIST MACRODYNAMICS A SYSTEMATIC INTRODUCTION". He said that the problem for capitalism is that the working class has become too powerful in recent years, not the bourgeoisie. I had the feeling that he, like most value theorists, was arguing more from an abstract model than real life.

Louis Proyect