Review of Sokal & Bricmonts' _FASHIONABLE NONSENSE_ in NY Times Book Review

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 20 06:53:10 PST 1998

To K:

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Although I don't quite fully agree with you, at least now I can understand you, which if not totally satisfactory, at least is somewhat useful. Perhaps it is my own fault since English is a learned language rather than a native language with me, so I lack the necessary skills to understand obscure humor and sacarsm. The other disadavantage is that I only got on the list recently and was unable to follow the drift of some of the verbal acrobatics in the middle of a continuing exchange or the manners of this subculture. Consequently, I felt unfairly excluded which as you know is a form of oppression. Speaking of oppression, one may argue that what I was experiencing when I read your post that led to my intemperate protest was the oppression of language imperialism and intellectural segregation, justified or not.

As you may agree, unintended oppression is still oppression to the victim, and when one is oppressed, all are oppressed. That is why I felt I had the right to speak for the whole list. Relativism does not apply to questions of oppression. Personally, I have been a victim of British colonialism all my life, so I qualify as an expert on oppression from the victim side. As for the intellectural basis for any uttereance, it seems to me it is not neccessary or useful to relate every sausage to Picasso. Sometimes a sauage is just a sausage. Not that sausages per se are inferior. Its just that they are better for breakfast than for esthetic enhancement. It would serve your messages better to bear in mind that the internet, like international banking, is already dominated by English speaking types and polluted by concepts and thinking processes that are natural to that langauge passing as universal truth. So it is encumbered upon you native English speakers to avoid abusing your unfair and unearned privilege by making your unterances simple, straightforward and to the point, for us third world types. (I have more to say about language imperialism upon your indication of interest. I now have an aversion against typing long postings since I had been told it is an imposition.)

For every occurance, different actors while going through the same acts, have different perspectives. You may appreciate the following story. (My apologies if you have heard it already, but it still may be appicable to our discussion).

When two Christians were thrown into the lion's den, all three being started to pray. Curious, the Roman Emperor asked about the purpose of the praying. The first Christian indicated he was asking God to make it fast and painless. The second confessed that he was asking God to make the lion eat the other Christian first. The lion said he was merely saying grace before a good meal.

Henry