Singer

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Nov 20 10:59:21 PST 1998

> . . . You see, I know that when Humphrey and Kevorkian
> speak of "death with dignity" they are talking about cutting us out of the
herd.

> I have always supported a womans right to choose, but that gets
> harder and harder to do, the deeper one explores what is really happening.
It is in my own enlightened self interest to reject what can potentially kill me.>

Taking nothing away from Marta, it's ironic that it would take a case of discrimination against a particular type of foetus to cause us (some of us, at any rate) to question the "right to choose," but in the event of no such bias, there is no issue except from the standpoint of the unblemished foetus. In effect, by assuming away any defects or knowledge of any defects, the foetus is rendered less worthy of consideration, a reverse discrimination.

>From this standpoing, the 'seamless web' of Catholic
logic is more compelling than the secular right to choose.

MBS