Fwd: American Bioethics Advisory Commission Demands...

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Nov 20 11:09:56 PST 1998

> I similarly don't engage people who talk about "partial birth
> abortions" as there is no such medical procedure and the term was
> invented by the Religious Wrong to inflame. I don't take ethics
> advice from these sorts of intellectually dishonest people.

So if my tush is hanging in the breeze but my head is in my mother (mother-to-be?) and you use some sort of instrument to suck my brains out of my skull, what is that called? Or does it never happen?

I realize there are few of these procedures and they are used by the pro-lifers as a wedge for much more ambitious, malign plans, but the fact of them is pretty inconvenient, to say the least. I'm reminded of the line in Prizzi's honor where jack nicholson is aghast to discover that his girlfriend, Kathleen Turner, has carried out a dozen or so contract hits. To him she replies, "but it's not so many as a proportion of the population."

Put another way, if there is an expectant mother, mustn't there be an expectant child?

I've always been "pro-choice," but the air has been slowly going out of that balloon for a while now. I've yet to hear a logically coherent argument for it. Any defense of womanhood must, it seems, grant some standing to the baby in the womb. And it seems incontrovertible that at some point in the third trimester, at the least, there IS a baby in the womb.

MBS