Hybrid Marxism (1)

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Nov 20 14:56:43 PST 1998

James,

On the question of the changing attitudes in China towards Confucianism I would note the following items, although perhaps Henry might disagree.

Mao and the Gang of Four both identified Confucianism with the traditional feudalism of China that they saw themselves trying to overthrow and displace. Certainly the intense official egalitarianism and anti-intellectualism of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution was very opposed to the elitism of mandarin scholars of the sort praised by Confucianists.

As for the partial rehabilitation, there are at least two factors. One is personal, that Deng Xiaoping had been criticized as a being a Confucianist and so it was not unreasonable of him to partially rehabilitate Confucianism after he came to power. Also, its support of state influence in the economy was seen as a counterweight to pro-laissez faire policies suggested by some. Barkley Rosser On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:29:38 -0500 James Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu