Fwd: American Bioethics Advisory Commission Demands...

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Nov 20 16:17:18 PST 1998

James Farmelant wrote:

> I have been wondering why Marta chose to forward this piece
> of nonsense from the religious right but since she has I for the
> fun of it decided to go through it and critique some of the choicer
> parts.

I agree with you that some of it is nonsense, but think I can answer one question you raised:

> >> "Each and every one of us, including Peter Singer has from 5 to 50
> >defective sequences of DNA from the moment of fertilization. No member
> of the
> >human species has a perfect genome. These imperfect sequences, though
> not
> >always expressed, could over time become active causing disease or
> >pathology. It would seem that Dr. Singer in fact discriminates on the
> basis of
> >species by the fact that the species in question, the human species, is
> not
> >perfect." Howard said.
>
> And Howard's point is?

That when parents choose to kill a baby because they don't want it for its particular qualities that is a decision which is based upon what they and the medical profs know about the baby at birth. Hidden are genetic characteristics for any number of diseases which can develop in its future. Howard is saying that the quest for physical perfection needs to be scrutinized. What if the "healthy" baby that they did not kill develops childhood leukemia? And we are all, including Singer, subject to becoming as disabled as any baby a parent may birth.

Marta Russell .