happy little angels with Down's syndrome (Re: Teeny tiny small point (Re: Singer)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Sun Nov 22 20:11:55 PST 1998

I read your post, Marta, and I was reminded of the arguments I used to have with a friend who did (academic) stuff on disability. She had CP, and ws writing primarily about stuff that concerned people with physical, rather than mental disabilities. She admitted that the groups had different concerns, but wouldn't admit that it was problematic to talk about "disabilities." My brother, for example, has mental retardation, is autistic, and has recently been diagnosed with OCD (I think the OCD is part of the autism, but that's another story. the meds help, and that's what matters). Now, talk about yer invisible populations--crazy retards are pretty high up there (whoops gonna get slammed for that one--gallows humor). And it seems to me from what I've read (admittedly limited), he's invisible within the disability literature as well.

The Benetton ad pissed me off. It pissed me off because we are always seeing images of happy laughing children with Down's syndrome. Every time someone wants to make people with MR seem not repulsive, they go for the folks with Down's. I think it makes people with MR as a whole more invisible. People in the physical disability community get pissed off at Jerry Lewis for the way the "kids" are presented as perfect little happy grateful angels. Why not get pissed about the gorgeous little Down'sy children that we always see? How is it different?

frances