O'Connor on crisis theory, etc.

Barbara Laurence cns at cats.ucsc.edu
Mon Nov 23 12:33:03 PST 1998

My book, Accumulation Crisis (Basil Blackwell, 1983) synthesizes Marxist political economy and a Gramscian ideology hegemony theory (with a tip of the hat to other theories when warranted) to explain the slowdown in world GDP growth rates after the first oil shock of the 1970s. Its focus is more on the rate of exploitation, turnover time of capital, etc., than the organic composition of capital. It raises issues, e.g., the size of the consumption basket as well as its value content, not generally raised by crisis theory. The first two chapters present a broad historical account of the development of the proletariat and the difference this makes for economic crisis. I develop the formula, first "crisis creates proletariat" than later on "proletariat creates crisis."

Another book, The Meaning of Crisis (BB, 1984), Ch. Two, "Economic Crisis Theory," esp. pp. 67-99 reviews Marx's theory of FROP and what assumptions are needed to make it work; the relation between FROP and overproduction of capital; and a lot of related matters.

Another book, not by me but by Sid Coontz, Unproductive Labor and Effective Demand, is an underground classic and well-worth a radical economist's time and effort. It presents convincingly a disproportionality theory of the gathering crisis of the 1920s-1933. Too much value producing capacity relative to demand appeared, Coontz argues, not because of overproduction per se but because capital intensive Dept I increased faster then (relatively) labor intensive Dept II. I note that this book is not on Jim Devine's otherwise very helpful bibliography (in his "Causes of the 1929-33 Great Collapse).

As some of you folks know, I'm of the school that rejects "economic" categories when and if they don't do double-duty as sociological categories. That is, theoretical categories must be both quantitative/economic and qualitative/sociological. This is why S/V is the central category in Marxist thought. It is a quantitative measure of the potential (or not) of the system to suffer a realization crisis; it's also a qualitative measure of capital's power over labor. The greater the latter (e.g., since late 1970s in the US), the higher will be S/V hence the greater the problem of realizing value (solved in the 1980s by military spending and hyper-consumerism and in the 1990s by hyper-consumerism (even more than the 1980s) and exports (mainly).

Note the super-contradiction here, that Marx missed. The greater is capital's political power over labor, cet. par., the greater the danger to the capitalist economy, i.e., a contradiction between politics and economics.