CIA on TBS

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 23 12:39:02 PST 1998

Hi, Jim Baird:

The times, they haven't changed that much.

Turner is running for President and the baby boomers' anti-establishment votes are important. That should shed some light. Secondly, this is part of CNN's revisit of the Cold War. Revisionist news documentaries are good entertainment that lifts ratings. Thirdly, this is part of a campaign to sell the "new, improved" CIA as an indispensable agency for the new wars on drugs and international terrorism. We don't need dirty tricks any more because now we can kill bad foreign leader openly with cruise missiles. As you pointed out, former CIA agents are a major part of this movement, both out of a need to clear the company name and to contribute the its rebirth. The irony is that the new CIA's biggest enemy is the new FBI, over a new turf war created by blurred national borders in relation to these new wars. Problems are no longer divisible into domestic and foreign. As for as the Left is concerned, the CIA is much more intelligent (no pun intended) and even honorable than the FBI, a good cop bad cop arrangement. The analytical section of the CIA is much admired throughout its history, even by its opponents. It was the first to promote anti Vietnam War arguments with reliable intelligence and data, which the State Dept. was unable to do after it was decimated by McCarthyt. It appeared that the "company" had a technical professional section which was the envy of all other governments. And then there was a political, ideological section was uniformly detested. This split personality is not unique to the CIA, but rather common with all intelligent agencies. There is also the continuing saga of the feud between the Kennedy clan and the CIA, since the U-2 incident, the Bay of Pigs, Vietnam, that now takes the shape of a contest of sensational expose on each other. Turner is a confessed admirer of JFK and he is angling for the support of the Kennedy clan which will not have a presidential candidate for some time to come..

The CIA now is hiring a lot of economists, including Marxist economists, both directly, through placement in think tanks and in the corporate world, and planting moles in foreign multinationals and even foreign central banks because there is a high stake struggle shaping up in restructuring the new global economic order.

The advantage of conspiracy theory is that it hards to disprove it.

Henry C.K. Liu