The Secret Life of Plants, for SnitgrrRl

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 23 20:48:44 PST 1998

>Paula, can you tell me more about which process gets
>screwed up w/ regard to Alzheimer's and epilepsy.

BW 11-30-98, pg.99-" A team of scientists at Ny University and Chinese University of Hong Kong have found that plant cells communicate with the same chemical signals used by human brain cells. The scientists, led by NYU biologist Gloria M. Coruzzi, identified molecules called glutamate receptors, widely believed to exist only in animals, in the mustard plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Glutamate signaling plays a vital role in human brain function and can result in epilepsy or Alzhiemer's disease if it goes awry. But in Arabidopsis it alerts seedlings to the presence of light. The scientists'finding helps explain why certain plant chemicals, such as cocaine and nicotine, an affect human brain cells. These compounds may be components of signaling systems that developed eons ago before plants and animals diverged

from a common ancestor. And Coruzzi's discovery could have profound implication for drug discovery and testing. Someday, pharmaceutical companies might bbe able to use plants to test the effects of new Alzheimer's drugs instead of injecting the compounds into lab animals.

(Leaving awe, and dare I say it, worship, aside, the conclusions of this article seem kinda lame to me. And I find this back-of-the-mag snippit more on a scale of coverstory. Is it just me? At the very least, I think this proves the importance of communing with our photo-preferenced brothers and sisters 5-7 times a day)

Gosh, I'm way over-limit again. I wonder if another digest will be withheld by this mean old program.

Nighty-nite Paula

Ps-Have I told you about my uncle, the spider plant? He needs a root canal.

pps- Hot damn, how 'bout that Dow?!?