O'Connor on crisis theory, etc.

Tue Nov 24 08:07:26 PST 1998

What of the fact that the capitalist appropriates all that is produced in the factory ? This appropriation takes place in the factory , not in the market. Why not construe this as the root cause in this theory of crisis,thereby locating its explanation in production, inside the factory gates, and not in the market ? The fundamental contradiction of capitalism is that production is social but appropriation is private, and business cycle crisis is rooted in this contradiction which is in production.

Charles Brown

In message <l03020900b27f76c27622@[128.114.140.14]>, Barbara Laurence <cns at cats.ucsc.edu> writes
> This is why S/V is the
>central category in Marxist thought. It is a quantitative measure of the
>potential (or not) of the system to suffer a realization crisis; it's also
>a qualitative measure of capital's power over labor. The greater the latter
>(e.g., since late 1970s in the US), the higher will be S/V hence the
>greater the problem of realizing value (solved in the 1980s by military
>spending and hyper-consumerism and in the 1990s by hyper-consumerism (even
>more than the 1980s) and exports (mainly).

This misses out the extensive argument in Marx's second volume of capital, that reproduction on an increasing scale is possible because the capital goods sector also contributes to demand. It is just wrong to say that only v = demand. S, too equals demand.

It seems a rather narrow interpretation of sociology to me to think that all change is located at the level of market exchange. Does society stop at the factory gates?

-- Jim heartfield