Revolution

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 24 08:36:28 PST 1998

Charles:

The definition was not of my making.

History calls the events in Paris in February, 1848 as the February Revolution of 1848. It overthrew the monarchy of Louis Phillipe and established the Second Republic. Guizot's increasingly reactionary policies, coupled by the general economic depression of 1846-47, led to mass dissatification, which culminated in street fighting in Paris on February 22. Two days later, LP abdicated. Louis Blanc, leader of the radicals, was outmanuveoured by Lamartine, leader of the so-called bougeois revolutionists, and the "spetre of Communism" was temporarily extinguished in France. The February Revolution, though failed in France, inspired the Revolutions of 1848 in many Eouropean nations that also failed subsequently. Many historians consider the conflict between two set of demands, one soical and economic, the other liberal and national, as the structural cause for the failure. Personally, I think the lesson points to the limits of "democratic" politics as a revolutionary vehicle. Henceforth, class struggle shifted from between the aristocracy and the bourgeiosie to one between workers and the capitalists in the Western economies.

Our views are not in conflict on this, I think.

Henry C.K. Liu

"Without rev theory there is no rev movement." Exactly, please participate in the virtual simulated CCP debate.

HCKL