Call from Chile

Tom Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Wed Nov 25 08:36:38 PST 1998

Dear Listmembers:

Just got a call from a friend in Valparaiso, Chile. Happiness abounds amongst the compañeros. Things are VERY tense, though.

The military and right wing really believed the decision would go the other way. Thus, just yesterday they were anouncing willy-nilly that they would respect the House of Lords decision. Now they're starting to back-pedal.

Rumors of military action of course abound, but my friend suggests only the crazy fringe of the right and military would opt for a coup. This time, the US wants no part of miltary action, and Jante Reno has mumbled about charging Pinochet for other crimes.

However, there is a very real threat of right wing violence at other levels. Verbal threats of violence and death continue apace against left politicans (senators and lower house memebers), leaders of human rights organizations, etc. A few days ago two Spanish tourists were kidnapped in Arica (northern Chile), and are said to be held as ransom for the return of Pinochet.

Rallys are planned for tonight in Valapraiso; another in Santiago; thousands are expected to turn out. Violence is a real possibility.

Now focus is shifting to Mr. Jack Straw, who will make the decision to allow Pinochoet's extradition or not to Spain.

I cried upon hearing the news; at 3:00 I'm going to the plaza to surround myself with like minded folks, to celebrate. I found my Chilean friends happy, but serene. Mine was the excited voice on the phone, theirs calm. My friend noted "now people see that what we've been saying for 15 years wasn't a lie, that we're not crazy. Now at least the whole world knows he's a murderer." They're happy, enjoying a victory, but they want, and deserve, more.

Tom

Tom Kruse Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-4) 248242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net