2-year economics fellowship

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Wed Nov 25 08:53:00 PST 1998

Pen-lers and LBO-talkers:

If anyone is interested or know of new PhDs who are interested in public health, please see the copy below of the postdoctoral fellowship announcement in the October JOE. I would especially encourage heterodox economists to apply.

As a Prevention Effectiveness Fellow, my experiences at CDC have been wonderful. Overall, it is an opportunity to make a significant contribution to improving people's health. PE Fellows generally have a lot of autonomy over their work, participate in collaborative research with social, behavioral, and biological scientists, and have access to some of the most extensive data available. Obviously, there is a great need for cost of illness analyses, including examinations of the appropriateness of valuation methods. But this is only a part of the work. I have been well supported in my efforts to examine the ways social-economic relations and institutions influence overall health and the distribution of health within the population. I do not think my experiences are outside the norm.

The focus of the CDC goes well beyond infectious diseases, and includes chronic conditions and injury (unintentional and intentional). Persons interested in health system change and its impacts on health care delivery, quality, and access may also find CDC a good place to be. The CDC is also involved in many international health programs, including global polio eradication. There are extensive opportunities for publication, presenting papers to national organizations, attending conferences, and other CDC-related travel.

Please feel free to contact me for any additional information. We are expecting to have a booth at the ASSA meetings in January. Unfortunately, I have been roped into spending some time in the booth. I guess my autonomy goes only so far.

Jeff

CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC), Atlanta, GA

I1 Health Economics

CDC offers a postdoctoral fellowship program in Prevention Effectiveness Methods. CDC assists the medical community and the nation's health departments to prevent unnecessary morbidity and premature mortality. Fellows design and conduct studies such as economic evaluations, resource allocation models, and quantitative policy analysis; work closely with national and international public health experts; and teach training courses in prevention effectiveness methods. Applicants must have a Ph.D.. or equivalent in economics, health services research, decision analysis, quantitative policy analysis, operations research, or closely related field. Proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English is essential. Fellowships begin July 1, 1999 for 2 years with a beginning Salary of $46,500 plus benefits. Deadline for submission of applications is February 15, 1999. An equal opportunity employer. CONTACT: Cheryl Shaw, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Mail Stop D-01, 1600 Clifton Rd., Atlanta, GA 30033 (Fax 404-639-4463; e-mail: ccc2 at cdc.gov).