Letter from Chile

Tom Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Wed Nov 25 10:03:16 PST 1998

Just in from friends in Chile:

A SMALL STEP TOWARDS JUSTICE

Long live the Brits (But don’t tell the Irish though). Yes, because for the first time in 25 years there is a slight possibility that Pinochet will be brought to trial on genocide, terrorism and torture charges. By a majority of three to two, the five Law Lords have ruled against Pinochet. He is not immune from prosecution, thus he could be extradited to Spain to face a court of Law.

However, the Pinochet saga is not over yet. There is still a possibility that Jack Straw, Britain’s Home secretary, decides to expel the ageing dictator from Britain on humanitarian grounds. This, of course, is purely a political decision. Whether the Labour government of Tony Blair is prepared to face the political consequences of such an action or not is unclear. Whatever happens in Britain though, the fact remains that for the entire world Pinochet is a murderer. The fact remains that the first time that someone was able to bring him to justice he was found guilty. Pinochet’s defence was based on the fact that he was head of state and therefore immune from prosecution. At no point did they deny the charges, on the contrary, they explicitly stated that he was indeed in charge of DINA (Secret Police) the terrorist organisation that committed most of the crimes in Chile.

The situation in our country is a delicate one. There are rumours of a coup d’etat, military manoeuvres and death threats from ultra right organisations. However, a military coup seems a politically unviable option, simply because ten years ago the Armed Forces, part of the civilian opposition at the time (those who are in government now) and the United States, negotiated the terms of the transitional process. Basically, the opposition accepted the rules of the game imposed by the military. So, since nothing has changed (the political system and the economic model we have today are the same we had under the dictatorship) there is no need to stage another coup and antagonise the whole world.

At least 60% of our people wants Pinochet to be brought to trial either here or elsewhere. So there is no support for a military move here either. Notwithstanding, we know full well what the military and the Right are capable of. Two hours after the verdict, the military have remained silent, but Pinochet supporters have reacted hysterically. The government has called upon the Chilean people to remain calm, they have also stated that they will continue working to obtain Pinochet’s release.

No one knows what will happen in the forthcoming weeks, all we can say is that the Law Lords’ decision constitutes a small step towards justice. We have to be grateful not to them, but to the thousands of compatriots who gave their lives in the struggle for justice and freedom. It is their victory. WE SHALL OVERCOME

Rocío and Tito